IN THIS ISSUE: Remembering Tom West, “What a Flight It’s Been” Letter from the 2022 IBBA Chair. Plus, Marketing Opportunities for Business Intermediaries, Best Practices in Specialization, Establishing Realistic Asking Prices, Working with Brokers, Legislative Updates, and more!
Hearing Financial Services Committee ("HFSC") H.R. 609
WASHINGTON D.C. – September 11, 2019 – BIEF Chairperson John Zayac comments on today’s meeting. Based on my observations from today’s HFSC hearing on various bills, including our own HR 609, I believe the following points are worth noting:
- The overwhelming majority of the testimony and Q&A did NOT concern HR 609, but rather focused on appropriate strategies and safeguards for small, private investors to invest in private capital market opportunities.
- NASAA’s printed testimony DID have a strong, favorable mention in support of HR 609 (reprinted immediately below); but due to time constraints NASAA’s oral testimony made no mention of HR 609.
- Written testimony from Attorney Douglas Ellenoff, founding partner with the prominent New York securities law firm of Ellenoff, Grossman & Schole, does NOT include any mention of HR 609, but he did come out in strong support of HR 609 in his oral testimony, and in responding to questions from Congressman Huizenga.
- Strong support for HR 609 DID come from NASAA’s immediate past president, Mike Pieciak, and Attorney Douglas Ellenoff, in their responses to questions directed to them by Congressman Bill Huizenga, the bill’s original sponsor.
- HFSC Markup is later this month, then onto the floor of the House for final passage by the full House, then on to the Senate.
Excerpt from NASAA’s written testimony before the HFSC Hearing on 9/11/19.
4. The Small Business Mergers, Acquisitions, Sales, and Brokerage Simplification Act (H.R. 609)
The Small Business Mergers, Acquisitions, Sales, and Brokerage Simplification Act would establish an exemption from registration requirements under federal securities laws for persons serving as brokers in certain merger and acquisition deals (“M&A brokers”). The exemption envisioned by the legislation is broadly consistent with a Model Exemption that NASAA approved in 2016, and with the de-facto federal policy that has existed since the issuance of a “no-action” letter by the Staff of the Commission on Feb. 4, 2014.44
State securities regulators share Congress’s interest in establishing a more streamlined regulatory framework for persons serving as M&A brokers in deals that involve the transfer of securities, subject to certain conditions.45 Moreover, we believe H.R. 609 appropriately balances the legitimate interests of all stakeholders, while maintaining significant safeguards for investors and small business owners.46
Further, while the framework established by H.R. 609 has been largely in place since 2014, federal legislation remains necessary due the limited legal effect of SEC staff “no-action” letters.
NASAA supports H.R. 609, and we look forward to working with Ranking Member Huizenga and other members of the Subcommittee to facilitate its consideration and passage.
BIEF is about a commitment to growth of the profession, promotion of the highest standards, and prosperity for its professionals. Furthermore, creating awareness and knowledge among sellers, buyers, and others engaged in the process of change in ownership of privately held businesses. More information is available at www.biefoundation.org
Todd Cushing, BIEF Director of Marketing (847)-566-0500 X 251, [email protected]
Independence, OH – December 7, 2022 – The International Business Brokers Association (IBBA), the world’s largest trade association for the business brokerage industry, is pleased to announce the individuals selected to receive this year’s Certified Business Intermediary® (CBI) Scholarships for 2023. “The IBBA scholarships are a great way for us to help support newer intermediaries […]
Independence, OH – October 4, 2022 –The International Business Brokers Association® (IBBA) is pleased to announce the four individuals elected by membership to serve on its board of governors for the January 1, 2023 through December 31, 2025 term: The Board also unanimously approved current board member, Pino Bacinello, CBI of Pacific Mergers and Acquisitions, […]